We celebrated the centenary of Anthony Burgess’s birth in 2017. Find out more here about our programme of activities and publications.
- Burgess Centenary
- Anthony Burgess Memories Project
- Object of the Week
- Centenary Events
- BBC Radio 3: Burgess at 100 Season
- Centenary Conference: Life, Work, Reputation (3-5 July 2017)
- Burgess at the Manchester International Festival
- The Irwell Edition of the Works of Anthony Burgess
- Drama on 3: A Clockwork Orange (BBC Radio 3)
Burgess at the Manchester International Festival:
The International Anthony Burgess Foundation was delighted to collaborate with the Manchester International Festival on a series of events to celebrate Anthony Burgess’s centenary. The Festival ran from Thursday 29 June – Sunday 16 July 2017, and offered a unique opportunity to commemorate Burgess in the city of his birth.
On Tuesday 4 July, the Bridgewater Hall hosted the European premiere of Burgess’s Symphony in C. This was performed by the BBC Philharmonic alongside the world premiere of an original composition by Raymond Yiu, The World Was Once All Miracle, a musical setting of six poems by Burgess.
The Whitworth Art Gallery presented an artist’s film based on two of Burgess’s Enderby novels. No End to Enderby adapted episodes from Inside Mr Enderby (1963) and Enderby’s Dark Lady (1984).